Monday, July 21, 2014

The Poem

I mentioned in my post of "Why Blog" that I am the Chapter Coordinator for a local non-profit called Project Linus.  Project Linus is made up of a group of volunteers who quilt, crochet, knit, or make fleece blankets for children.  Our mission is this:  To provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need, through the gifts of new handmade blankets or afghans, lovingly created by volunteer "blanketeers".

Saturday, July 19, 2014 was our Annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner.  We had loads of fun.  I like to highlight the volunteers that go out of their way to help our cause every year.  One of the volunteers we highlighted this year was the lady who delivers all of our blankets.  Believe it or not, she doesn't even sew!  I know, I can't believe it either.  Who in the world doesn't love to sit down with fabric and thread and make something?  I have absolutely no idea.  But this wonderful person is my mom.  Not sure where I got my love of quilting from; I just saw some fabric one day at a local store and bought it.  The sales lady told me to start with 12" blocks, so I did.  I made my brother a Dallas Cowboy blanket for Christmas.  That will be another blog for another day.

To honor my mom at the dinner I wrote the following poem:

What do you get for someone who doesn’t sew, crochet, or knit.
I really have no clue, it has me in a snit.
Who doesn’t love needles, yarn, and thread,
I don’t know; do you think they may be dead?

For needles, yarn, and thread bring a smile
and a yearning to go buy; regardless of the mile.
The sale is on, we really must go,
It doesn’t matter how far, rain, shine, or snow. 

For someone at some time, we must make a gift
And it must be quality; this is not the time for thrift.
But alas, this person doesn’t care for these things,
So what do we do, she must be made to feel like a queen.

For you see, she does so much to help our cause
Without her, we would really be lost.
So help me decide what she really could use;
because right now; I don’t have a clue.

She doesn’t wear jewelry, much makeup or perfume;
She doesn’t do much shopping; or care to own heirlooms.
For buying for her is so very hard,
And it must be something good; she should feel like a star.

For you see, her position is really important.
Without her, we would be lost and dormant.
She delivers all our blankets, for this we must take care,
for there is no one else who can come close to compare.

So Mom or Clara, we thank you for all the miles,
That you place on your car, to bring children a smile.
From the bottom of our hearts, we love what you do.
And your job is secure, we will never bid you adieu.

So alas, back to our question, what do we do?
because we really still don’t have a clue.
So we got together and thought some more,
And we decided we would get you something special we swore.

So a gift card it is, we hope you like it because
No one is better at spreading the word about our cause.
So we hope you have fun, enjoy, and attend
That your time with Project Linus must never end.


We thank you for spreading the word, that we can Give Love, One Quilt at a Time.




For more information on Project Linus, check out our national website at www.projectlinus.org or our local website at www.plcatawbavalley.org.




























It is simple to become a blanketeer, you just find your local chapter, contact that coordinator, and they will gladly put you to work!


1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful poem for a lady who is beautiful inside and out! You are so talented to write like you do.

    ReplyDelete